Aug. 24th, 2018
For int’l master students (Class 2016) who expect to graduate in December 2018, the defense arrangements are as follows:
I. The basic requirements for the master’s degree thesis defense /research report qualification
1. Complete the course work of no less than a total of 24 credits (out of which at least 15 credits are to be acquired from degree courses), compulsory sections of no less than 2 credits (Academic activities- at least 5 times + Elective competence development courses). The credit of Academic Activities will be gained once you submit the Registration form to our office before 14 Sep 2018. Please check carefully the credits on your transcript.
2. Complete the thesis (or a research report) independently.
3. The degree thesis or research report should be of theoretical or practical values to some extent, which indicates the author has a grasp of the fundamental theories and specialized knowledge in his/her discipline and is capable of further scientific researches and empowered with the ability to apply his/her theories and knowledge comprehensively into practical problems.
4. The research report should be of investigations on certain topics, engineering designs or case studies.
5. His/her submission of a qualified proposal on his/her thesis (or research report).
6. The thesis (or research report) can be written in either Chinese or English. The abstracts (about 800 words long) should be written in both languages. For detailed requirements, please refer to Format of Graduation Thesis for Master Degree.
7. As for problems regarding the degree thesis defense, from its application, evaluation and holding to the final award of the degree, all shall refer to UESTC Regulations for Postgraduate Degree Awarding.
8. All concerned fees are paid off.
II. Timetable for Int’l Students to graduate this June.
Get Defense Application form
Room 222 (Graduate management office of SISE, main building, Shahe campus)
Get from school the hardcopy of International Students Registration Form for Master Degree of UESTC (I) and (II) to fill in.
Submit Defense materials and paper thesis
Sep 28 (Application later than this date will NOT be accepted.)
2. International Students Registration Form for Master Degree of UESTC (I) and (II)
3. One copy of stapled thesis/report WITHOUT student’s name/ID or supervisor’s name, complying with the format specification and having supervisor’s signature on the thesis cover.
5. Email thesis/report to firstname.lastname@example.org; file(word/pdf) name should be:
Name + student ID
6. If your thesis title is different from the one you put in GMS system when you had the proposal, please fill in the form of Title change application (Annex 5) and get signatures as specified in the file.
1. Duplication check: the defense has to be delayed for 6 months if the rate passes 20%; the student needs to postpone his defense application and modifies the thesis for 1 month if the rate is between 15% and 20%.
2. Review comments from experts will be sent individually, according to which the students should revise the thesis/report and complete “Revision description1” document (plz download it from QQ group, fill and print it).
mi-Nov (1 day before the defense date)
- Each student prints 6 copies of the modified thesis (Student’s name and ID could be in thesis but NO supervisor’s info; complying with the format specification, but formal binding unnecessary).
- Submit 5 copies of the thesis and 5 copies of “Revision description1” document to Room 222 before 11:30 am.
- Keep the remaining 1 copy of the thesis to answer questions from the Defense team.
Conference Room, Main Building, Shahe Campus
1. The specific defense time will be notified 3 days in advance, please check school website and QQ group.
2. Use PPT to present main contents of thesis or report for no more than 15 minutes. Student’s name and ID could be in the PPT, but NO supervisor’s info. Bring pen and paper to note defense team’s questions.
3. Answer experts’ questions about thesis content.
4. Each should carry the student ID card for inspection during the defense.
Submit final version of thesis/ report
Submit 2 hardcopies of final version (formal binding, with Applicant and supervisor’s signatures on the corresponding position).
Certificate Awarding Ceremony
UESTC Int’l office will be in charge of graduation procedures.
III. Guidance for filling form “International Students Registration Form for Master Degree of UESTC (I) and (II)”
姓名Name：（Same as passport）
所属学院School：School of Information and Software Engineering
申请时间Master Degree Application Date：2018.9.14
Graduate management office
School of Information and software engineering
which incluedes: Annex 1: Application for Thesis Defense (Version 2017)
Annex 2: Writing Format of Postgraduate Dissertation (Including Research Report)
Annex 3: Thesis (Report) cover and English title page instructions
Annex 4: Duplication check promise
Annex 5: Title change application